Skip to main content

Michael Barnes last part “A ride to the MZ Club of Finland 2006 rally”


All good things must come to an end. Here is the final part of Michael Barnes trip of a lifetime.....


Here are 2 bikes seen at the MZ Rally.
A 1962 ES250/1 with Esky. Well , it sounds Finnish.



Just arrived at the rally, a 1959 ES175.



The next day I hit the autoroutes again and was soon in France. I turned off near Cambrai heading south through Arras onto smaller roads eventually stopping at the memorial to World War I Australian soldiers at the village of Pozieres . The memorial adjoins the road and the Australian flag flying on a big flagpole was very noticeable to passing traffic. I rode east through attractive countryside through to the coastal town of Berck, which was bumper to bumper with French holidaymakers. Then north stopping for the night at the Hotel Le Vauban in the town of Montreuil. Cost was 47Euros (AU$80) for a double room with breakfast in a two storied 19th century building overlooking the town square.

It was Saturday night and the locals of all ages were out in the square eating from food stalls at picnic benches, raffling prizes of local produce and listening to live music. Leaving early the next day I was amazed by the marvellous old buildings of all shapes and sizes close together around the northern exit, more than a few had unmistakeable bullet holes marks on them. Winding up and down and around the twisty cobblestoned road for a kilometre there were no modern buildings to be seen.

I enjoyed a nice ride through early morning fog, again taking a zig-zag route to avoid large roads. After 90 minutes I linked up with the A16 autoroute to Calais and arrived at the crowded terminal in time for the noon ferry to Dover. I had to join the queue of non-EU vehicles and had my documents thoroughly checked out. I also had to answer some detailed questions about my itinerary in the UK. The 75 minute trip in the inverted 20 storey building that doubled as a sailing vessel cost 50 pounds (AU$124) . It was my ninth ferry ride of the trip. I was now an informed ferry consumer.

A few hours later I was negotiating the London A25 ring road system and telling myself that going via London was the quickest way to Felixstowe. It was hard work made harder because I was riding on the left again in heavy traffic , traffic with so many trucks in places they obscured the already inadequate road signs, especially the overhead ones at big junctions. Then there was the numerous road works and detours. The construction works on the roads leading onto the Dartford Tunnel under the Thames filled an entire wide valley. I eventually escaped from London and rode the 60 English miles to Felixstowe on the A12 and A14.

I spent another night at the Grafton Guest House and the next day, a Monday, thoroughly cleaned the MZ and left it with the staff at Get Routed agent’s depot for the 43 day voyage home . I rode through seven countries , covered 3,600km in a month, amazingly without falling off or even getting very wet.
Unleaded petrol prices per litre June 2006 in Australian
$’s in the countries visited ;
UK $2.70
Germany $2.64
Denmark $2.70
Sweden $1.90
Finland $2.64
France/Belgium $2.00

Michael's Skorpion in profile, Denmark.




For more information contact mbarnes@hwy.com.au

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A big thank you to Michael for allowing me to Blog this for him.

Comments

  1. brilliant as always, + pics of two of my favorite models.....cheers! Sean

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tuning 40mm BING CV carburetors for BMW motorcycles by ear.

Steve Doyle has put together this great and simple guide to tuning your Bing carbs. No need for expensive tuning equipment. So over to Steve...... Any feed back on this How To please email me and I will pass it onto Steve. There are 3 common methods to syncing the carbs. They will all work 1. Shorting the plugs. http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/synchcarbs.htm and http://www.airheads.org/content/view/216/98/ 2. Using a manometer of some sort. Carbtune, Twinmax or home made http://www.airheads.org/content/view/183/98/ 3. Using your ears. No comprehensive articles that I could find.. In the spirit of learning to service and tune at home and after lots of reading, I decided that for me the "by ear" technique might be the most useful, as it doesn't require any special tools and can be performed anywhere. There is no risk of electrical damage to the bike or the one doing the adjusting. It was very difficult to find a comprehensive description of the procedure, so using the combi

On a Sure Footing....

I love my BMW. More than any other bike I have owned. This doesn’t mean that it is not without its blemishes. Take the hair trigger sidestand. Known to fold up when an Alpaca herder in the Andres sneezes and the bike is in Australia. Many a BMW owner has found their bike on its side on the ground. Fairing broken. The sidestand has folded up into the raised position. Why? Because it likes to. Once the smallest amount of weigh transfers off the side stand it will fly up. Also if you have an RT type fairing as mine does you can not put the stand down when sitting on the seat. Well I can’t with my short legs. I have to clamber off the bike while holding it up right and then use centre stand. I don’t trust the sidestand. This Video shows how vicious the original sidestand is. Click on the play button. That all changed yesterday. I fitted a SureFoot sidestand . Moto-Bins in the UK supply these. They are of a very sturdy construction. Comes with full fitting instructions and 2 new

Ride impression of the Yamaha MT-03.....

Yamaha have realeased their new 660 based single. The MT-03. See I so want one....MT-03 The bike can be had in Europe but not here in Aussie land. I have asked Yamaha Australia if they will bring them in. They said "No plans at this stage to introduce the MT03 in to Australia." To rub salt into the wounds, axxess , the forum admin guy at http://forum.monoconnection.nl/ got to ride one. NOOOO!!! So unfair. He translated his ride impression into English for those of us who will not get to ride this. Thank you mate for doing this for us. So lets see what he has to say..... Saturday 16 February I could try the Yamaha MT-03 at Gebben Motors. I could try a brand new red 2008 model. After a short instruction and a warning because of the new tires we were ready to go! The first thing I noticed was the enormous wide steer and the upright riding position It gave me a feeling of absolute control and power! The seat was quit hard but not uncomfortable at all. Unless it was still freez