Skip to main content

Michael Barnes part 1 “A ride to the MZ Club of Finland 2006 rally”


This is the first installment of Michaels write up on his trip to Finland. I have already had the privilege of reading this all the way through. I am very envious of him. What an amazing trip. So now it is over to him……


I had decided that riding my own bike to Finland to visit my friend Keijo, another MZ rider, was feasible and something I could manage.

I have another friend in the northern German town of Bad Bramstedt , Klaus and my plan was to ship the bike to the nearest port , Hamburg, 40km south of his house.

Klaus would help me collect the bike and we would then ride to the Finnish MZ Club annual rally on June 18th together. I have a 2000 model MZ Skorpion with 48,000km on it purchased new from Readford’s in Dubbo. Klaus has an MZ 250 ETZ model.


Michael's son Peter with his dad's Traveller.


Using a Garmin (global positioning system) we would ride the 1700km finding back roads where possible. Our route would take us from Puttgarden on the tip of northern Germany through Denmark to Sweden , then north up through central Sweden to Grisslehamn, then east across the Baltic Sea by four ferries through the Aland Islands on to Turku on the Finnish west coast . We would ride 270km north-east to the rally site outside of Ikaalinen in central Finland.
The ride as it turned out was fantastic and went pretty much as planned .

I found out about Get Routed www.getrouted.com.au a motorcycle shipping service run by Dave Milligan. Inquiring I found that the dates for Dave’s UK shipment were fairly close to the timing of my trip. The sea voyage takes 43 days leaving Melbourne in March 2006. At that time Dave was shipping bikes from Melbourne to the port of Felixstowe on the English Channel, in Suffolk, about 100km north of London. He now ships out of other capital cities.

Most of the bikes are ridden by their owners to race meetings on the Isle of Man, the North-West 200 in Northern Ireland or the Dutch TT at Assen. Dave chooses shipment dates to coincide with these events.

He charges $2,800 sea freight for most machines short of Gold Wing-size ex Melbourne to Felixstowe and return to Australia. Included in this price is the cost of secure storage while the bikes are awaiting shipment from Melbourne and likewise in Felixstowe, container hire, Australian & UK Customs paperwork and clearances, marine insurance, loading & unloading . I was assured that there would be assistance available at the shipping depot to pick up the bike during office hours. Dave arranges optional comprehensive insurance coverage for the both the UK & EU through Carole Nash for 80 pounds In transit the bikes are packed securely in their own container on individual cradles.

This was all good . Looking further I found a ferry runs from Harwich , just south of the Get Routed agent’s depot in Felixstowe to the port of Esbjerg in Denmark. Esbjerg is 300km north across the border from my friend Klaus’s house in Bad Bramstedt in northern Germany. So I changed my original plan of arranging shipment of the bike myself to Hamburg and chose Get Routed’s all-inclusive service to Felixstowe, UK. By choosing Get Routed I would also get to see the UK which I hadn’t really anticipated. As the crow flies Get Routed’s depot was only 6 kms from the ferry terminal however both are at northern and southern tips of a large bay, the round trip by road was 60 British miles of motorway and suburbs.

Other general customs agents that claim to offer a comprehensive service to any major seaport or airport ;
World Wide Customs and Forwarding Agents ;
http://www.blogger.com/www.wwcf.com.au
World Wide Shipping Agencies ;
http://www.blogger.com/www.worldwideshippingagencies.com
The Horizons Unlimited website also has first hand accounts of shipping bikes.

Part 2... Michael arrives in the UK and heads off to Europe..... Should be posted tomorrow night.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tuning 40mm BING CV carburetors for BMW motorcycles by ear.

Steve Doyle has put together this great and simple guide to tuning your Bing carbs. No need for expensive tuning equipment. So over to Steve...... Any feed back on this How To please email me and I will pass it onto Steve. There are 3 common methods to syncing the carbs. They will all work 1. Shorting the plugs. http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/synchcarbs.htm and http://www.airheads.org/content/view/216/98/ 2. Using a manometer of some sort. Carbtune, Twinmax or home made http://www.airheads.org/content/view/183/98/ 3. Using your ears. No comprehensive articles that I could find.. In the spirit of learning to service and tune at home and after lots of reading, I decided that for me the "by ear" technique might be the most useful, as it doesn't require any special tools and can be performed anywhere. There is no risk of electrical damage to the bike or the one doing the adjusting. It was very difficult to find a comprehensive description of the procedure, so using the combi

On a Sure Footing....

I love my BMW. More than any other bike I have owned. This doesn’t mean that it is not without its blemishes. Take the hair trigger sidestand. Known to fold up when an Alpaca herder in the Andres sneezes and the bike is in Australia. Many a BMW owner has found their bike on its side on the ground. Fairing broken. The sidestand has folded up into the raised position. Why? Because it likes to. Once the smallest amount of weigh transfers off the side stand it will fly up. Also if you have an RT type fairing as mine does you can not put the stand down when sitting on the seat. Well I can’t with my short legs. I have to clamber off the bike while holding it up right and then use centre stand. I don’t trust the sidestand. This Video shows how vicious the original sidestand is. Click on the play button. That all changed yesterday. I fitted a SureFoot sidestand . Moto-Bins in the UK supply these. They are of a very sturdy construction. Comes with full fitting instructions and 2 new

Ride impression of the Yamaha MT-03.....

Yamaha have realeased their new 660 based single. The MT-03. See I so want one....MT-03 The bike can be had in Europe but not here in Aussie land. I have asked Yamaha Australia if they will bring them in. They said "No plans at this stage to introduce the MT03 in to Australia." To rub salt into the wounds, axxess , the forum admin guy at http://forum.monoconnection.nl/ got to ride one. NOOOO!!! So unfair. He translated his ride impression into English for those of us who will not get to ride this. Thank you mate for doing this for us. So lets see what he has to say..... Saturday 16 February I could try the Yamaha MT-03 at Gebben Motors. I could try a brand new red 2008 model. After a short instruction and a warning because of the new tires we were ready to go! The first thing I noticed was the enormous wide steer and the upright riding position It gave me a feeling of absolute control and power! The seat was quit hard but not uncomfortable at all. Unless it was still freez