Skip to main content

How to do an oil change. Don’t do it my way…..

I did an oil change today. Took 5 hours to do. Why so long. Sit back and relax and I will tell you how not to do one.

First let me explain where the oil tank on the MZ Scorpion is. It will then all become very clear to you why it took five hours. It is in the tail of the bike. Runs between the frame work under the pillion part of the seat. See the engine is a dry sump with circulation system lubrication. Not my words. Straight from the owners manual. In other words the oil doesn’t live in the engine when the engine is not running. Well a little bit does. The rest is up in the oil tank under the seat.

So I start off by taking the seat off. Undo the filler cap/dip stick that is up in the oil tank. Put the drip tray under the bike. Undo the drain plug and oil line as per the what the manual says. Drain the oil. Simple?!

Wait till the oil is just now slowly dripping out. Put the drain plug back in and reconnect the oil line. I need to put 2.45 litre of oil back into the oil tank. I have a 1 litre bottle with a funnel on it. So this too is simple. 2 and 2/3 bottles of oil and the oil change is done. I had started at 9am. It is now just after 9:30am. In goes the first litre. In goes the second litre. The final 2/3 of litres is going in when it all gushes back out of the tank and the reaming oil has now where to go. That’s right the oil all went over the back wheel. AAARRRGGGHHHHH…

There is oil going everywhere as I panic to stop the flow of oil. Oil is dripping from the bottle as I try to get it upright and away from the bike. Both right hand and left hand side of the rear wheel has got lots of oil on it. And this is a very new tyre too. All of a sudden the kids arrive at the garage. “Quick go and get the bucket, put water in it and bring down the bathroom cleaner and the scrubbing brush from the shower.” At this stage I am almost frothing at the mouth. Poor kids. I didn’t tell to go and get these things nicely. I just barked out orders. Off they flew. Within minutes there were back with everything I had screamed for.

I started to scrub the tire with the bathroom cleaner. It’s all we had. All my near new clothes in the garage were pressed into service mopping up the oil and cleaning fluid. After quite some time I had the tire clean. But still felt a bit slippery.

So what does the manual say about the oil change? Well yes I did read it before I started. But I didn’t read the bit that said just start with 2 litres of oil; first. Run the engine for 30 seconds and then put the other ¾ litre in. As Hommer Simposon would say D!OH. That’s why the oil flowed back out of the tank. I didn’t stop at the 2 litre amount.

Now I had the clean up the oil tank and under the bike. Once this was done I knew I had to take the bike for a short ride and see if I had got all the oil off the tyre. So very gingerly I ventured out onto the road. I did about 5 kilometres and came home. The tyre felt ok. But I was not pushing it. At home I found more oil on the tyre. I look up under the bike and I had missed some oil.

So off to Woolworths I go to get some proper car wash. Scrub the back tyre again. Clean up the oil I missed first time around that was hiding up under the bike. Venture back out for a ride. Pulled over a few times a peered in at the back wheel. No oil to be seen anywhere. The back end feels ok at suburban speeds. So hopefully I have cleaned the tire enough that she won’t trow me down the road on the first fast corner.

So by 2pm I have finished the oil change.

Note to self. Read the manual more carefully. Anyone got a good size 12 they can kick me up the butt with?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuning 40mm BING CV carburetors for BMW motorcycles by ear.

Steve Doyle has put together this great and simple guide to tuning your Bing carbs. No need for expensive tuning equipment. So over to Steve...... Any feed back on this How To please email me and I will pass it onto Steve. There are 3 common methods to syncing the carbs. They will all work 1. Shorting the plugs. http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/synchcarbs.htm and http://www.airheads.org/content/view/216/98/ 2. Using a manometer of some sort. Carbtune, Twinmax or home made http://www.airheads.org/content/view/183/98/ 3. Using your ears. No comprehensive articles that I could find.. In the spirit of learning to service and tune at home and after lots of reading, I decided that for me the "by ear" technique might be the most useful, as it doesn't require any special tools and can be performed anywhere. There is no risk of electrical damage to the bike or the one doing the adjusting. It was very difficult to find a comprehensive description of the procedure, so using the combi

On a Sure Footing....

I love my BMW. More than any other bike I have owned. This doesn’t mean that it is not without its blemishes. Take the hair trigger sidestand. Known to fold up when an Alpaca herder in the Andres sneezes and the bike is in Australia. Many a BMW owner has found their bike on its side on the ground. Fairing broken. The sidestand has folded up into the raised position. Why? Because it likes to. Once the smallest amount of weigh transfers off the side stand it will fly up. Also if you have an RT type fairing as mine does you can not put the stand down when sitting on the seat. Well I can’t with my short legs. I have to clamber off the bike while holding it up right and then use centre stand. I don’t trust the sidestand. This Video shows how vicious the original sidestand is. Click on the play button. That all changed yesterday. I fitted a SureFoot sidestand . Moto-Bins in the UK supply these. They are of a very sturdy construction. Comes with full fitting instructions and 2 new

Ride impression of the Yamaha MT-03.....

Yamaha have realeased their new 660 based single. The MT-03. See I so want one....MT-03 The bike can be had in Europe but not here in Aussie land. I have asked Yamaha Australia if they will bring them in. They said "No plans at this stage to introduce the MT03 in to Australia." To rub salt into the wounds, axxess , the forum admin guy at http://forum.monoconnection.nl/ got to ride one. NOOOO!!! So unfair. He translated his ride impression into English for those of us who will not get to ride this. Thank you mate for doing this for us. So lets see what he has to say..... Saturday 16 February I could try the Yamaha MT-03 at Gebben Motors. I could try a brand new red 2008 model. After a short instruction and a warning because of the new tires we were ready to go! The first thing I noticed was the enormous wide steer and the upright riding position It gave me a feeling of absolute control and power! The seat was quit hard but not uncomfortable at all. Unless it was still freez