Skip to main content

Stripped... It got a whole lot worse....

Could it get any worse? Started with a stripped engine stud! Oh it got a whole lot worse. Motohansa have found out that someone had already put a helicoil into the offending stud. But it had not been done correctly. When I torqued the heads down I stripped the stud and helicoil out. I was shown the helicoil that came out and it had ripped a fair bit of casing thread out with it. Also damaged the thread on the stud. So Motohansa fitted a timesert thread. This did not take due to the stud hole now being bigger than it should be. When the cylinder was torqued down and the engine started up oil weeped out at the head gasket. They were not happy with this at all. The timesert could not hold the stud tight enough.

Disaster! The stud hole can not be welded up and a new hole drilled and taped as there is an oil gallery right at the back the hole. If this oil gallery is damaged then even bigger disaster. So the crankcase can not be repaired. We are exploring fitting a new old engine. They have an engine that I could buy. They are going to check to see what sort of nick the cylinders and pistons are in. It needs a new timing chain. It may even be an 800cc one. If it is ok I may buy it and get them to fit it. I will keep my old engine. The cylinders and pistons are in great shape for the mileage in my current engine. Or I will fit the engine myself. The other thing they could do is swap the cylinders from my engine onto the other one. Plus the engine electrics etc. Then fit the new old engine. The cost of this is going to take me well over my budget. We have to pay for our youngest daughter to go to Japan next year for a school trip. So it is very tight at the moment.

The mechanic asked me why I torqued the heads down. I told him that the Haynes manual said to do this before you do the tappets. He suggested the only time that this needs to be done is after a head gasket has been fitted. I have learnt my lesion. At least I was not the one that stuffed up the stud hole in the first place.

So I am now researching via my manual and the internet how easy is it to swap engines over. I need to see if I can do this. It would save me lots of magic beans.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuning 40mm BING CV carburetors for BMW motorcycles by ear.

Steve Doyle has put together this great and simple guide to tuning your Bing carbs. No need for expensive tuning equipment. So over to Steve...... Any feed back on this How To please email me and I will pass it onto Steve. There are 3 common methods to syncing the carbs. They will all work 1. Shorting the plugs. http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/synchcarbs.htm and http://www.airheads.org/content/view/216/98/ 2. Using a manometer of some sort. Carbtune, Twinmax or home made http://www.airheads.org/content/view/183/98/ 3. Using your ears. No comprehensive articles that I could find.. In the spirit of learning to service and tune at home and after lots of reading, I decided that for me the "by ear" technique might be the most useful, as it doesn't require any special tools and can be performed anywhere. There is no risk of electrical damage to the bike or the one doing the adjusting. It was very difficult to find a comprehensive description of the procedure, so using the combi

On a Sure Footing....

I love my BMW. More than any other bike I have owned. This doesn’t mean that it is not without its blemishes. Take the hair trigger sidestand. Known to fold up when an Alpaca herder in the Andres sneezes and the bike is in Australia. Many a BMW owner has found their bike on its side on the ground. Fairing broken. The sidestand has folded up into the raised position. Why? Because it likes to. Once the smallest amount of weigh transfers off the side stand it will fly up. Also if you have an RT type fairing as mine does you can not put the stand down when sitting on the seat. Well I can’t with my short legs. I have to clamber off the bike while holding it up right and then use centre stand. I don’t trust the sidestand. This Video shows how vicious the original sidestand is. Click on the play button. That all changed yesterday. I fitted a SureFoot sidestand . Moto-Bins in the UK supply these. They are of a very sturdy construction. Comes with full fitting instructions and 2 new

Ride impression of the Yamaha MT-03.....

Yamaha have realeased their new 660 based single. The MT-03. See I so want one....MT-03 The bike can be had in Europe but not here in Aussie land. I have asked Yamaha Australia if they will bring them in. They said "No plans at this stage to introduce the MT03 in to Australia." To rub salt into the wounds, axxess , the forum admin guy at http://forum.monoconnection.nl/ got to ride one. NOOOO!!! So unfair. He translated his ride impression into English for those of us who will not get to ride this. Thank you mate for doing this for us. So lets see what he has to say..... Saturday 16 February I could try the Yamaha MT-03 at Gebben Motors. I could try a brand new red 2008 model. After a short instruction and a warning because of the new tires we were ready to go! The first thing I noticed was the enormous wide steer and the upright riding position It gave me a feeling of absolute control and power! The seat was quit hard but not uncomfortable at all. Unless it was still freez