Skip to main content

Misfire- The lady that interrupts... ????

"Running the bike 2 up the other day at speed, she had a hesitation with a small loss of power. I backed off the throttle and engine feels fine. Could this have been a misfire? Caused my the Omega system?..." Was the Question I asked over at the BOXERWORKS forums.

"Sounds more like fuel starvation to me ... electronics are stupid, they calculate from input rpm whether in 3rd 4th or 5th gear. Check fuel flow, float bowel level, both petcocks on under load etc......"

"Maybe your petcock screens are clogged with "stuff" or your fuel lines need replacing. The magic chemicals being added to gasoline now is cabable of really making a mess of various older "rubber" parts......"

My reply .... "Carbs have never been overhauled in the time I have had the bike. 3 years. So will check these over and see what might need replacing.

135 main jet is standard according to owners manual for 32mm Bings. I have had 145s fitted and had put the 135s back in for fuel economy reasons. 145s suck fuel so quickly at speed.

I will also have to check the fuel cocks to see if they are getting clogged up.

The bike starts first go no probs. Comes of the choke no porbs and runs well. Will rev through the rev range in each gear with gusto. Just in top and slowly winding her out that she hits this hesitation.

Thanks guys."


The floats heights were checked. They are good. Fuel tank drained and lots of gunk found in one of the in fuel cock filters. This was on the inside of the mesh filters.




Found this plastic bullet type thing with 4 weighs built into it in the tank. WTF?


Turns out the previous owner had put this into the tank. Took some fishing around with a bit of bent wire to get it out. This is a Fitch Fuel Catalyst. http://www.fitchcatalyst.com/recreational_vehicles.php 

The Fitch Fuel Catalyst Advantage


Increases Miles Per Gallon
Increases Horsepower & Torque
Quicker Throttle Response
Smoother Running Engine
Permanent Stabilizer for Off-Season Storage
Reduces or Eliminates Ping and Knock
Allows for a Lower Octane Fuel
One Time Application for the Life of the Engine
Good for 2 & 4 Stroke Engines

Yeah ok. I did not put it back in. 

So cleaned the the float bowls out and cleaned the fuel taps out. As I am putting the right hand throttle cable back on I stick my finger on some wire. Again WTF. I look down and the throttle cable is frayed not too far up from the nipple. I had suspected it was the right hand side that was playing up.


Looks like the frayed bits were catching and not allowing the right hand carb to open as far as the throttle grip was. This would explain the hesitation at the upper end of the bikes speed range.

I have had new throttle cables waiting to be fitted for about 12 months. They are now.

So new cables on and I have to balance the throttle cables. I have been shown to do this by ear. Yet I still can't get them right.

Yesterday. Huzzah!!!!!!!!!!!!! Took bike out to get warmed up. Set idle speed and idle mixture on side of road. Rode home. Put Carbmate on carbs.



One carb was so far out it was not funny. Tuned in the carbs. Took for ride. Rode very hard. Wow I love how she is now running. She feels the best in the whole time I have had her. Also got rid of the popping on over run.

Proves to me that I can not tune carbs by ear. I did this last week and really stuffed up the settings. Thankyou Carbmate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuning 40mm BING CV carburetors for BMW motorcycles by ear.

Steve Doyle has put together this great and simple guide to tuning your Bing carbs. No need for expensive tuning equipment. So over to Steve...... Any feed back on this How To please email me and I will pass it onto Steve. There are 3 common methods to syncing the carbs. They will all work 1. Shorting the plugs. http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/synchcarbs.htm and http://www.airheads.org/content/view/216/98/ 2. Using a manometer of some sort. Carbtune, Twinmax or home made http://www.airheads.org/content/view/183/98/ 3. Using your ears. No comprehensive articles that I could find.. In the spirit of learning to service and tune at home and after lots of reading, I decided that for me the "by ear" technique might be the most useful, as it doesn't require any special tools and can be performed anywhere. There is no risk of electrical damage to the bike or the one doing the adjusting. It was very difficult to find a comprehensive description of the procedure, so using the combi

On a Sure Footing....

I love my BMW. More than any other bike I have owned. This doesn’t mean that it is not without its blemishes. Take the hair trigger sidestand. Known to fold up when an Alpaca herder in the Andres sneezes and the bike is in Australia. Many a BMW owner has found their bike on its side on the ground. Fairing broken. The sidestand has folded up into the raised position. Why? Because it likes to. Once the smallest amount of weigh transfers off the side stand it will fly up. Also if you have an RT type fairing as mine does you can not put the stand down when sitting on the seat. Well I can’t with my short legs. I have to clamber off the bike while holding it up right and then use centre stand. I don’t trust the sidestand. This Video shows how vicious the original sidestand is. Click on the play button. That all changed yesterday. I fitted a SureFoot sidestand . Moto-Bins in the UK supply these. They are of a very sturdy construction. Comes with full fitting instructions and 2 new

Ride impression of the Yamaha MT-03.....

Yamaha have realeased their new 660 based single. The MT-03. See I so want one....MT-03 The bike can be had in Europe but not here in Aussie land. I have asked Yamaha Australia if they will bring them in. They said "No plans at this stage to introduce the MT03 in to Australia." To rub salt into the wounds, axxess , the forum admin guy at http://forum.monoconnection.nl/ got to ride one. NOOOO!!! So unfair. He translated his ride impression into English for those of us who will not get to ride this. Thank you mate for doing this for us. So lets see what he has to say..... Saturday 16 February I could try the Yamaha MT-03 at Gebben Motors. I could try a brand new red 2008 model. After a short instruction and a warning because of the new tires we were ready to go! The first thing I noticed was the enormous wide steer and the upright riding position It gave me a feeling of absolute control and power! The seat was quit hard but not uncomfortable at all. Unless it was still freez