Skip to main content

Rockster ride....


A certain Rockster owner is not able to ride is bike for the length of a pregnancy. Why? Not saying. So his R1150R Rockster sits in the garage tucked away under a cover. Waiting the day he can venture back onto the blacktop. The Rockster pines for the road. It pines to have the throttle cracked open and its exhaust bark out the symphony of speed. It sits dreaming of tight twisty roads. Roads that it hunts down big Jap sports bikes and rounds them up quick smart. It is almost a crime that this bike cannot be ridden on the road. Enter me. Sure Sonny I will take the Rockster out for short ride. Yes it will come back with at least one cylinder still attached. No I will not do anything stupid with it. I promise.


Climbing on board my back straight way wants to know what on earth am I doing. My BMW is a great big comfy lounge chair. The Rockster is a gym workout bench. Hard and meant for one thing. A good fast workout.


I have to reach well forward and wide to grip the bars. I left my legs up on the pegs and I feel as if I am being folded up by an origami master. This is so different than my LT tourer.

First gear, open the throttle and the exhaust barks nicely. My body is folded in ways never before experienced. I find it a bit hard to change gears. I am not used to the position my foot is in. Accelerate away, flick up thorough the gears. The gearbox in my bike is older but feels so much nicer than this one. Could be that I am very familiar with mine. But then again it is a BMW gearbox. It also has one more gear than mine. It has six of them. I found for the ride I did in traffic that 3rd was all that as needed. Lots of grunt on tap to get around the cages.


The brakes are ABS assisted. This is new to me. Squeeze the front and I am nearly over the handle bars. Ok you don't use as much squeeze as on my bike.
So far I am just dribbling along. Time to see what mid range is like. 3 1/2 to 4 thousand RPM and there is a very nice rush from the engine to the gearbox and down the shaft to the rear wheel. So much so that I am well over the speed limit. A smile is spreading across my dial. Mid range on a long twists road would be pure fun on this bike.

The revs build and so too the bark from the exhaust. What a wonderful sound. There is nothing like a twin with a loud exhaust. The engine is warming up now and at the lights I hear that BMW telltale noise of tappets and clutch rattle. This is a true boxer after all. It might be an Oilhead but it is a real boxer.

Lights go green and away rockets the Rockster. Good kick in the butt. At 60 km/h the engine is not complain at all. Very versatile that’s for sure.
It was not a long ride. Just getting the oil pumping but I did come back with a big smile on my face. I want this engine in my bike please. I love the engine. The ergonomics of the bike do not suit my bad back. So maybe a R1150RT would suit me better.

Thanks mate for letting me take the Rockster out. My old BM feels very pedestrian now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuning 40mm BING CV carburetors for BMW motorcycles by ear.

Steve Doyle has put together this great and simple guide to tuning your Bing carbs. No need for expensive tuning equipment. So over to Steve...... Any feed back on this How To please email me and I will pass it onto Steve. There are 3 common methods to syncing the carbs. They will all work 1. Shorting the plugs. http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/synchcarbs.htm and http://www.airheads.org/content/view/216/98/ 2. Using a manometer of some sort. Carbtune, Twinmax or home made http://www.airheads.org/content/view/183/98/ 3. Using your ears. No comprehensive articles that I could find.. In the spirit of learning to service and tune at home and after lots of reading, I decided that for me the "by ear" technique might be the most useful, as it doesn't require any special tools and can be performed anywhere. There is no risk of electrical damage to the bike or the one doing the adjusting. It was very difficult to find a comprehensive description of the procedure, so using the combi

On a Sure Footing....

I love my BMW. More than any other bike I have owned. This doesn’t mean that it is not without its blemishes. Take the hair trigger sidestand. Known to fold up when an Alpaca herder in the Andres sneezes and the bike is in Australia. Many a BMW owner has found their bike on its side on the ground. Fairing broken. The sidestand has folded up into the raised position. Why? Because it likes to. Once the smallest amount of weigh transfers off the side stand it will fly up. Also if you have an RT type fairing as mine does you can not put the stand down when sitting on the seat. Well I can’t with my short legs. I have to clamber off the bike while holding it up right and then use centre stand. I don’t trust the sidestand. This Video shows how vicious the original sidestand is. Click on the play button. That all changed yesterday. I fitted a SureFoot sidestand . Moto-Bins in the UK supply these. They are of a very sturdy construction. Comes with full fitting instructions and 2 new

Ride impression of the Yamaha MT-03.....

Yamaha have realeased their new 660 based single. The MT-03. See I so want one....MT-03 The bike can be had in Europe but not here in Aussie land. I have asked Yamaha Australia if they will bring them in. They said "No plans at this stage to introduce the MT03 in to Australia." To rub salt into the wounds, axxess , the forum admin guy at http://forum.monoconnection.nl/ got to ride one. NOOOO!!! So unfair. He translated his ride impression into English for those of us who will not get to ride this. Thank you mate for doing this for us. So lets see what he has to say..... Saturday 16 February I could try the Yamaha MT-03 at Gebben Motors. I could try a brand new red 2008 model. After a short instruction and a warning because of the new tires we were ready to go! The first thing I noticed was the enormous wide steer and the upright riding position It gave me a feeling of absolute control and power! The seat was quit hard but not uncomfortable at all. Unless it was still freez